Become Independent from cash assistance
The Jobs First Employment Services (JFES) program serves residents of South Central CT who are recipients of Temporary Family Assistance, Connecticut’s cash assistance program for low-income families using Federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) funding.
Every year, about 3,000 participants are referred to the American Job Centers in New Haven, Meriden and Middletown for job counseling, individual and classroom training, and work experience.
- Utilize employment to achieve independence from cash assistance by the end of the 21-month time limit.
- Support workers to remain employed and independent from cash assistance.
- Provide basic skills, job coaching, occupational skills and work experience
- Transportation Assistance
- Access to Child Care Assistance
Work Search Activities
- Jobs First participants are assigned work search activities until they are able to obtain employment. Whenever possible, Jobs First combines work activities with education and/or training to increase potential earnings and to become self-sufficient.
Work Experience (Subsidized Employment)
Jobs First matches candidates with little or no work history with employers willing to provide valuable work experience — all while earning wages.
Through this unique program, Jobs First participants receive a paycheck via the American Job Center and are placed at work sites for up to 20 hours a week. Employer components:
- Meet and interview candidates
- Provide 12 weeks of paid on-the-job training
- Complete employee performance evaluations
- Hire well-performing candidates into permanent employment after training
Contact Cathy Geremia at (203) 624-1493 x 285 or email@example.com.