Job Opportunity Recruitment & Screening Events
NEED A JOB? WE CAN HELP!
Come to the American Job Centers to learn about available job opportunities and be screened for immediate match with local employers seeking qualified candidates. All jobseekers are encouraged to attend regardless of income, education or employment status. BRING A RESUME!
We will cover all services available to strengthen your employment prospects with training and customized job matching services.
Every Tuesday, 9:30 AM and Thursday, 1 PM at these locations:
560 Ella T. Grasso Blvd., New Haven. (203) 624-1493
87 West Main Street, Meriden. (203) 238-3688
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Our team of Business Services specialists is constantly engaging South Central CT employers and bringing in job orders. Join the email list to get regular updates. If you go on to work with a Job Seeker Consultant, you'll have access to a job database called Talent Market.
The Business Sectors we focus on include:
- Healthcare, Social & Education Services
- Service Professionals: Retail, Hospitality & Food Service
- Information Technology
- Finance, Banking & Insurance
- Trades & Construction.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Jobseekers, 18 years or older, who reside in South Central CT and are unemployed, working less than full time or earning less than a livable wage.
Veterans and veteran spouses receive priority service. Assistance is provided under the Workforce Innovation & Opportunity Act and other funding sources.
Dislocated Workers: If you have been laid off or downsized; lost your self-employment due to economic factors; or are a displaced homemaker or military spouse.
WHAT to expect?
- Your resume will be screened for a match with current job postings -- Bring Copies!
- Bring as many eligibility documents (listed below) as possible. If you are not matched on the day of the event, you will move forward with a 1-on-1 appointment with a Job Search Consultant.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes before the Event start time. Plan to stay for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. No children please.
HOW DO I GET TRAINING?
After attending a Job Opportunity Event and being screened for a match, your next step may be a 1-on-1 appointment with a Job Seeker Consultant to discuss training and employment options.
You will complete an inventory of your skills and experience and determine if training is a necessary part of your job plan. Explore all of your training options on our Education Partners page.
Many people move directly into job development with some enhanced resume, interview and job search skills.
CAN I GET HELP WITH MY RESUME?
Sign up for the new Hands-On Resume Workshops in New Haven and Meriden for help from program staff. Create an account at CTHires.com to register.
The Self-Service Careers Center computer labs in each location are also available for you to use Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM. Basic computer skills are required to use the Self-Service labs. Minimal staff assistance provided.
I USED TO BE A CUSTOMER OF CTWORKS, CAN I STILL ATTEND?
YES! American Job Centers will have a record of your past participation. If you progress to a meeting with a Job Seeker Consultant, you may need to update any eligibility documents previously submitted.
If you are not immediately matched with a Job Opportunity, you may move on to a 1-on-1 appointment with a Job Seeker Consultant to access intensive job development services and/or training assistance.
Determining Eligibility is based on:
Dislocated Worker: Tell your Consultant if you have been laid off or downsized; lost your self-employment due to economic factors; or are a displaced homemaker or military spouse. They will ask for documents relating to your separation and recent job search history.
Eligibility by household size and income. You will be asked to supply copies of these documents:
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship (birth certificate, passport or naturalization papers)
- Selective Service Registration (males who are 18 and born on or after Jan. 1, 1961)
- Household income including recent pay stubs or W2
- Birth certificates for those in your household
- If you are already certified as a Dislocated Worker by the CT Department of Labor, bring your certification document.
- If you have a documented DISABILITY, please include:
- Recent letter from your doctor, therapist, case manager or other authorized professional identifying your disabilities and any limits you may have for training or work.
- Income: Only for yourself
- Household Size: birth certificate for you only
- Disability Questions? Contact Disability Resource Coordinator Barbara Green at (203) 867-4030 x 239
American Job Centers gladly make accommodations for people with disabilities. Please contact Disability Resource Coordinator Barbara Green at (203) 867-4030 x 239 or email@example.com in advance.
REQUEST VOICE/TDD SERVICE BY CALLING: 203.624.1493 EXT. 210